- More tired or fatigued than usual – such as during pregnancy, those first few sleep deprived months/years of parenthood or recuperation from illness
- More stressed than usual due to changing life circumstances – changing jobs, getting married or divorced, etc.
Certainly the busyness of life’s schedule can mean we all become run-down every now and again, you may be feeling tired or stressed most of the time.
Too much stress, too often can overburden your body, creating a condition called adrenal fatigue. Your adrenal glands control your stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol). Adrenaline governs your fight or flight response – so you could out run the lion that was likely to eat you if you didn’t move quickly enough or stand and fight the intruder at the door of your cave.
These days neither of those scenarios are likely, but your body doesn’t know the difference between fighting an intruder and arguing with your spouse; and desperately trying to finish that important report by that impossible deadline and being eaten by a lion.
When your fight or flight response is triggered too often, your adrenal glands become exhausted and unable to do their job secreting cortisol which is responsible for controlling pain and inflammation as well as balancing sugar levels in the body. So not only will you be more fatigued – with less ability to outrun your personal ‘lion’, you’re also likely to suffer from more frequent colds, and increased pain and inflammation levels in your body all of which further deepen your level of exhaustion.
If left adrenal fatigue is left untreated it can develop into immune system problems, gastro-intestinal tract or bowel disturbances or insulin-resistance/metabolic syndrome.
There are many ways naturopathy can help you regain your adrenal function including;
- Testing your cortisol levels in the clinic by saliva test.
- Nutrition and blood sugar regulation – making sure that you’re eating a nutrient rich diet full comprised of fruits, vegetables, grains
- Stress management using breathing techniques, meditation, massage and exercise
- Naturopathic treatments such as ginseng, astragalus, licorice, vitamins B and C, magnesium.
The naturopath at Cascade Health will prescribe the correct combination of herbs and supplements that are right for you.
If stressed and fatigued aren’t how you want to live your life any longer experience the difference that comes with real, lasting health. Unlock your wellness within today and call the Cascade Health clinic on 9975 1775 or book an appointment.